The DPP today published a report from its recent Meet the UK Broadcasters event, documenting the key priorities for the technology leaders of Sky, UKTV, ITV, BT Sport, ITN, Channel 4 and the BBC. The event and report were made possible by the support of DPP founder Member company Sony.
“These seven senior technology executives gave frank and compelling reports from the front line of transformation in the media sector,” said DPP Managing Director, Mark Harrison. “Their insights make for market analysis of the highest quality. It was a privilege for DPP Members to hear their views.”
The new report, Meet the UK Broadcasters 2017, summarises the presentations made by the following technology leaders at a special event for DPP Members held in London in early November 2017:
- Andy Beale – Chief Engineer, BT Sport
- Bevan Gibson – CTO, ITN
- Sinead Greenaway – CTO/Director of Operations, UKTV
- Tom Griffiths – Director of Broadcast and Distribution Technology, ITV
- Chris Johns – Chief Engineer, Broadcast Strategy, Sky
- Matthew Postgate – Chief Technology and Product Officer, BBC
- Orpheus Warr – CTO, Channel 4
The report summarises the three current key priorities of each of the broadcasters, and also provided some specific messages to the supplier community:
- Clear direction was given on broadcaster requirements of providers to new content supply chains
- The CTOs revealed where and how they wanted to start making use of machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Insight was provided on the application of data analytics
- Expectations were outlined regarding cyber security
- A picture was painted of a radically different approach to the advertising supply chain
- An assessment was made of the maturity of the major online players operating in the broadcast space
In the opinion of Sony Professional Head of Media Solutions, Richard Scott, the clarity and quality of the analysis provided was exceptional:
“As part of Sony Professional’s commitment to the work of the DPP we are delighted to work together on Meet the Broadcasters 201.7 It brings to light some of the key industry challenges, and the ways that customers and suppliers can work together to meet them. The quality of the business insight in this report is very special indeed.”
Meet the UK Broadcasters 2017 is available now to download for all DPP Members.
The DPP will be delivering further exclusive executive insight to its membership throughout 2018.